Monday, December 3, 2012

Anna Karenina at the Cinema


Since this adaptation seems to have a 'love it or hate it' air surrounding it I wanted to share my view.  I LOVED everything about it!  The way it was filmed with many scenes performed on stage at a theatre - intriguing, the cast - fabulous, the costumes - gorgeous.  Although I've learned since the V&A exhibit that designers really don't want you to notice the clothes, they are simply an extension of the character.  Well, I'm sorry but how can you possibly resist the urge to swan about in a long silk gown and now I also want a lace veil.  At least for five minutes.

The Heiress and I learned that some of the scenes were filmed at Ham House in Richmond when we were visiting there in October.  Also, one of Anna's (Keira Knightley) voluminous merlot-coloured gowns is on display at the wonderful Hollywood Costume exhibit at the V&A (see it if you can).  Naturally there was some elbowing going on in the dark whenever we spied anything recognizable.

This movie will deliver more than your money's worth in epic drama, I promise you, and you don't often leave the cinema feeling like that.  And see it on the big screen...oh, I want need to go again!

12 comments:

  1. So you didn't think it was a long perfume advert? But weren't the costumes fabulous, definitely the best bit for me.
    I can't believe that I didn't recognise Ham House, though - well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I did think about you writing that, Mary. Nope, not a whiff of a commercial at all but you never know, some marketing executive just might see an opportunity!

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what I am going to think of this but I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't post anything about your night out send me a line and let me know what you thought...thumbs up or thumbs down. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. OK, if I really have to go and see lovely Jude Law in a movie, I guess I'll just about bear it. :) I don't know if it was the same exhibit, or had any of the same things in it, but I saw a exhibit here several years ago with a lot of costume-drama costumes, including many from the Jane Austen films. Those actresses are so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Jude Law plays a right cringe-worthy sort of man in this one...but we'll forgive him. Eyeing the waistlines on the women's costumes at the V&A wasn't very progressive of me but you can't help it, can you. I suppose there is a corset to consider as well but my goodness....

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see this! Seems only fair that since I went to see Lincoln last weekend with R (and loved it!), he should accompany me to Anna Karenina this weekend... right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy the man in your life a bag of popcorn and he will follow you just about anywhere! Daniel Day-Lewis could read the Sears catalogue and I would be riveted...bet you had a super time, JoAnn.

      Delete
  5. Oh I am dying to go see Anna Karinenina. I just know it will be all I am hoping for and more. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in for a treat, Bonnie! Any time we get something at the cinema these days that hasn't been made for a twelve year-old boy is cause for celebration.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Wasn't it so much fun?! It has made me want to try reading the book and enduring a Tolstoy wasn't something I cared one little bit about before this.

      Delete